Travel Information

Soon you will be going on holiday. We like to send you on your way well-prepared, which is why we have listed some useful information for you. We wish you a happy holiday in advance!

Always arrange

  • Read the destination country's travel advice. That way you will know what you need to take into account. Travel Advice - Department of Foreign Affairs ( 

  • Make sure you have a valid passport or ID card. You can travel to all countries in our range with an ID card. Check in advance how long your travel document needs to be valid. This can be done through updates - Department of Foreign Affairs (  or Passports ( Some campsites ask for (a copy of) your ID so good to bring a copy.

  • Provide various means of payment (cash, debit card, and possibly a credit card).

  • Take out travel insurance. Not only useful for luggage, but the costs only become really high if, for example, you have an accident or have to be repatriated. Tip: put the number of the emergency center of your insurance in your phone.

  • Check which medical care costs your health insurance covers abroad and bring your EHIC with you.

  • Register with Citizen Registration. This way, the embassy knows that you are in the country should an emergency or crisis occur.

  • Breakdown with the car abroad? Before departure, check whether and where your breakdown is covered (dealer, travel or car insurance, roadside assistance service such as and what conditions apply!

  • A serious accident abroad? Call the police/or ambulance via 112 (throughout Europe) and call the emergency centre of your travel insurer. They will arrange the next steps for you. Don't forget to fill in the European Claim Form. Also, write down details of witnesses and check whether the license plates and the insurer of both parties are filled in correctly. Take pictures of the situation, the damage, and traces. In case of theft etc. do not forget to report it to the police.

  • Although a green card is not mandatory in every country, it is useful to always have it with you. In the event of a collision, this saves a lot of hassle. You will also find information about what to do in the event of damage.

  • In many countries, it is mandatory to have a warning triangle, a safety vest, a spare wheel, a first-aid kit, spare lamps, and a fire extinguisher in the car. So take these items with you, then you are always in the right place.

Ferrys To & From Ireland

Ferries are a relaxing and convenient way to travel. With a wide variety of routes available from Ireland, you can reach campsites in many destinations across France, Spain, and Holland easily, with the freedom and flexibility to journey at your own pace in your own car! 

5 ferry companies offer sailings to and from Ireland. Ferry Timetables can change throughout the year.  

  • Stena Line
  • P&O Ferries
  • Irish Ferries
  • Brittany Ferries 
  • Steam Packet 

Ferry from Scotland to Ireland

  • Cairnryan to Larne
  • Cairnryan to Belfast

Ferry from England to Ireland

  • Liverpool to Dublin
  • Liverpool Birkenhead to Belfast

There are 3 ferry routes operating between Ireland and France.

  • Irish Ferries  - Dublin to Cherbourg
  • Stena Line - Rosslare to Cherbourg
  • Brittany Ferries operates 2 routes, Rosslare to Cherbourg and Cork to Roscoff

Ferries from Ireland to Spain

  • Brittany Ferries operates a route from Rosslare to Bilbao


Additional useful info

  • Are you going by plane and renting a car? A credit card may be required.  

  • A driver's license is not valid abroad as proof of identity.

  • Do you take any medication with you on holiday? Ask at the pharmacy or check in this list whether your medicines fall under the Opium Act and if so, request a statement from the CAK

  • Is your dog, cat, or ferret going on holiday? Then your animal needs an EU pet passport, a chip, and a rabies vaccination. Also, in some countries (and therefore also on campsites in these countries) certain dog breeds are prohibited or strict rules apply to these animals, because they may pose a danger to their environment. This is the case, for example, in France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, the United Kingdom, and parts of Germany. Read more about these rules here.

  • Are you traveling alone with a minor child, for example, because you are divorced? Or are you bringing your child's boyfriend or girlfriend? Then you must be able to prove that you have permission from the parent(s). This can be done with a declaration of consent.

  • Put a contact's phone number as In Case of Emergency (ICE) number in your phone.

  • Black Saturdays: In 2024, Black Saturdays are July 20 and 27 and August 3 and 10.

  • Tip: photograph your passport/ID, insurance card, bank card, emergency numbers, and other important items before departure. Mail or app them to yourself or other travel companions, so you still have important data at hand in the event of loss or theft.

  • We recommend that you book your visit to tourist attractions in advance. Otherwise, you risk long queues!

  • Water is drinkable in almost all European countries. Sometimes it tastes different due to the addition of chlorine. When in doubt, you can buy bottled water in the supermarket.

  • For hygiene purposes, some campsites require bathing caps and tight-fitting shorts when in the pool.

  • In southern European countries, people often eat late.  Please note that (outside the campsite) there is often no one in the restaurant before 19:00

  • If you withdraw money from an ATM, avoid ATM Euronet or GWK Travelex machines, which are not connected to a bank. You get a worse exchange rate here and pay additional transaction fees. Always choose 'without conversion' or 'decline conversion' when withdrawing, your own bank then determines the exchange rate and not the local bank. That's a lot cheaper.


On the motorways in Austria and Switzerland, it is mandatory to have an Autobahn vignette. These vignettes are available at the motorway border crossings of Austria and Switzerland, or at the ANWB

  • For Austria, you can choose from a vignette with a validity of 10 days, 2 months, or 1 year.
  • A Swiss Autobahn vignette is valid for 1 year by default.

On the main roads of Slovenia you need a valid toll vignette. All motorways and motorways in Slovenia are toll roads. An e-vignette is also available in Slovenia at toll stations, petrol stations, supermarkets, and kiosks. Outside Slovenia in the border region at large petrol stations and the shops of the ÖAMTC in Austria. For points of sale, see:

In some areas in Germany you need an environmental sticker. If you drive through Germany, but do not go off the motorway, you do not need an environmental sticker. If you are going to spend the night in Germany, you may enter an environmental zone, where an environmental sticker is mandatory, including in Munich, Stuttgart, and Neu-Ulm. Order the environmental badge here.

Tip: With the TollGuru, you immediately see an indication of the costs for fuel and tolls and this route planner also indicates where environmental zones are.

Flying from Ireland

Ireland is well connected with Europe mainly through Dublin, Shannon, and Cork Airports. 

The most common International Airports are: 

Cork Airport 
Dublin Airport
Shannon Airport
Ireland West Airport Knock
Kerry Airport (Farranfore)

Belfast International Airport
George Best Belfast City Airport
City of Derry Airport

Disclaimer: The information on this page has been carefully compiled. However, we do not accept any liability for incorrect or incomplete information. The links we use to other websites are for informational purposes only. These websites are not maintained by us,